Tuesday, September 27, 2011

God should be tops....

I know I talk about my kids a lot but they are really my life. Besides God and my husband, there is NOTHING in this world I love more than my children. I guess the reason I talk about them a lot is because they are my light and joy. I feel that if they bring me so much joy then I should definitely share that joy with others. They say the most comical things. For example, today Walker finally colored his 5th triangle and finally got to go to Wal-Mart to get a new slinky. We get there and literally search every aisle and can find NO slinky. Walker tells me "Mom, there are no slinkys in this store, I'll just settle for these two guns." (As if he made such a sacrifice) At any rate, the NERF guns it was and all was well. We rejoiced and were so proud and happy that he had 5 good days of school (in like 3 weeks!!!!).
I love to share Walker and Tatum's perceptions and ideas about the world. We read Rumble in the Jungle a lot at night. Every night after we read it, Tatum asks me "tomorrow can we go to the jumble?" She is very serious, as if we can just drive on over tomorrow. Anything is possible to them. I love to sit back and watch how they would do things without my help. As I was getting them ready for bed tonight, Walker runs back in the living room and turns the TV off. He informs me I do not need to turn it back on tonight because that wastes energy. Where in the world does he hear this stuff (but apparently the shows he watches do not waster energy)?
Tonight Walker told me "I was a horrible reader" (thanks, Walker!) and said he would read his book himself. Well, as with most of their books, he has heard it a few times and not word for word and definitely aided by the pictures, he "read" Tatum and I the book. I love to share these funny stories and revel in how well they do when I step back and let them do things themselves. (This is never much of a problem for Tatum. She wants to do everything "by my....seeeeeelllllffff"!)
Now the main idea...
The reason for this entry and what is in the front of my mind is .... what would this world be like if I, just one person, talked about Jesus as much as I do my children. Not that children are not important and not that I plan to stop talking about them ANY time soon, but what if I was simply one for one. For every post on facebook or every conversation I had with someone about something funny, cute, silly, frustrating, aggravating, etc that one of the kids did, what if I made a post or conversation about Jesus and something he has done for me? Could I make a impact on the world? Well, I could make an impact on the people who read my facebook statuses or that I carry on daily conversations with.
I love to tell others about my children being my light and joy and I want to share that. However, I know Jesus is my true light and joy and I, shamefully, share him very little. I rejoice and celebrate over Walker having 5 good days of school but do I rejoice and celebrate over someone coming to know the Lord or for seeing the Lord working in a situation. I dwell on Walker's bad days at school and Tatum having accidents (and thinking it is funny) but do I dwell (and cry and pray and fret) over friends and family dying without Jesus? I share Walker's and Tatum's takes on the world but when faced with situations do I refer others to the Bible and Jesus's guide to life? I share that Walker and Tatum literally think anything is possible but do I strive to convince other that through "HIM all things are possible?" Do I publicly (or privately) give God the glory when he handles problems. Do I really step back and let him handle them and then am I careful to give him the honor and glory he deserves? Sadly, I find myself sharing the successes, failures, and wisdom of a 2 & 4 year old more than I share the wisdom, love, and hope of the Light of the World.
Now, I doubt seriously any of you believe that I can quit talking about Walker and Tatum so much. I can't help it; they are just so funny and cute. But I do pray that I will be more aware of how much I talk about other things of the world and how little I talk about the Father. He should be front in center in every aspect of our lives...even facebook statuses and blogs.
Phillipians 1:27 "Only let your conversation be as it becometh the gospel of Christ..."

No comments:

Post a Comment