Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Let your light shine...even if it shines differently than mine!

Before I start writing, let me just throw out this disclaimer: this post is neither aimed at anyone in particular nor is it meant to incite an argument (or riot) or hurt feelings. I am not saying that my family and I are doing things perfectly or that you are doing them badly...just weighing in on a topic that seems to flood my thoughts recently.

There seems to be a ever increasingly popular trend in this strange cyber world that consumes many of our waking hours of blogging about, posting, linking pictures, etc of the innovative and creative things that we are doing to raise our family and to boast of what a wonderful job we are doing as mothers, wives, and Christians. It seems if you do not plan a daily routine around educational, biblical based activities for you children, then you are less of a mother and certainly a less than stellar Christian. If you love your child then you will have morning educational time, then a healthy sandwich cut into Larry from the Veggie Tales for lunch, then an on schedule nap at 11:57. While the offspring are sleeping peacefully in their beds, you should first exercise then spend the next hour planning the next month's lessons while washing clothes with your homemade clothes detergent and reading a highly educational and challenging non - fiction book. According to schedule you must wake the children up at 1:57...2 hours is ample time for a nap and we all know you should have your children trained to not get out of their bed until they are given permission (if they happen to already be awake). The afternoon should be spent on their studies and possible physical activity outside where children should be identifying various leaves and insects that are in the biome in which they live. All of this will be followed by a fully balanced dinner......OK I'll stop! But you get the idea!

There was recently a Facebook post of a mother who was in essence challenging this idea of the perfect mother and wife. And I do not want this to sound as if I am against any of these things...I am NOT! And if this schedule works for you, GREAT!!!! More power to you! However, I do not feel like I am doing my children any injustice by working outside of the home and sending one to daycare and one to public school. However, many blogs, websites,  facebook pages, etc. can make you feel as if you are a little bit less of a mother or wife or Christian because of these choices. Also, to my stay at home mom friends (and I have lots of them)..you know I do not ever diminish or make light of what you do...we ain't all cut out of that mold! (Just for the record, I love a schedule...my claim to fame is a strict 8 PM bedtime for my kids...but relinquish that this is not the ONLY acceptable choice...it simply works for us!)

My point in all of this rambling is that we are missing the point! Isn't the point to let our light shine before men?
Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven. Matthew 5:16
The light we are supposed to be shining is not our light and what great things we have done and what great mothers, wives, and Christians we are. Our light should always point to Him! Our light should not be divisive or offensive and our light should not try to outshine others. When we are shining towards Him and looking to Him, we don't know what others' lights look like! Sometimes we get so wrapped up in comparing ourselves to others that we forget whose opinion really matters! Trying to outdo/impress one another, whether it be through the wonderful activities we design for our children, or the exhaustingly rigid routine that we have perfected, or by the Christian education we are providing for our children in our homes, or by the wonderful homemade recipes we come up with (and you know I love to cook so I'm preaching to myself here) ...all takes away from the One who we should all be striving to please in the first place.
For do I now persuade men, or God? or do I seek to please men? for if I yet pleased men, I should not be the servant of Christ. Galatians 1:10

Again, none of these things are innately bad. Competing with them is distracting, consuming, and harmful. I am not against any great activities or sharing them. You know I love to share a quote or picture of my crazy kids. And because someone shared their idea, we did a wonderful activity at Christmas time with a paper chain with scriptures (I'll share sometime). Sharing is great...but let us all watch the spirit in which we share. I should not be trying to outdo you but to please Him!
Let us all remember "we are his workmanship"...Ephesians 2:10.

This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine.... (that's the southern version)!

Final disclaimer here: I know there are some run - on sentences here and my mother and sister will cringe but I can't fix it...too much typing as I was thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment