Tuesday, November 5, 2013

As oft as "they" pass by...

As I am preparing for my upcoming trip to Mexico (deep breaths...breath, don't forget to breathe), I have been drawn back to the story of the Shunammite woman in 2 Kings 4. I will not tell the whole story (but it is really good you should go read it...now), but I will share the beginning, the part that continues to speak to me. (As always, I throw out my disclaimer that I am no theologian...this is just my take on it).

2 Kings 4:8 "And it fell on a day, that Elisha passed to Shunem, where was a great woman; and she constrained him to eat bread. And so it was, that as oft as he passed by, he turned in thither to eat bread."

The prophet Elisha is passing through town and this woman, apparently not knowing he was a great prophet, shows kindness and hospitality to him. This woman had no ulterior motive; she needed nothing from Elisha. However, she has been greatly blessed ("great" in the context of the verse means financially well off) and extends Christian compassion to Elisha.

This thought continues to resonate with me....that this woman needed nothing, expected nothing, wanted nothing of Elisha. She wasn't helping him because he was a great man of God. She was simply fulfilling her Christian duty of showing love to others. How often do I do this? How often do I show love, kindness, compassion to strangers (or anyone else for that matter)? And if or when I do, do I expect something in return? Maybe not from the actual person, but do I expect someone to notice and pat me on the back? This was not the mindset of this remarkable woman. She was just sharing her blessings with a stranger who was passing through town.

Finally, I stop to consider that scripture says that "as oft as he passed by," the Shunammite woman provided for Elisha. She did not just help him one time. Her attitude was not "I helped him once, he needs to make provisions next time"! Ouch...that hurts I KNOW!!! How many times do I think I have done something wonderful because I helped someone out. Yay! Go me! No...shame on me! Elisha was provided for by this woman every time he went through town.

Surely, I am not the only one that is convicted by this great woman's kindness? God, give me the heart of this woman. Put someone in my path that I can help. Allow me to show love and kindness to someone and help me to do it with a thankful, gracious heart! Help me to do so as oft as "they" pass by.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment